Technical Business Development Director, Industrial Americas
Job Number: 6967
Technical Business Development Director, Industrial Americas
Company: Rieke Packaging Systems
Primary Location: 500 W 7th Street, Auburn, IN 46706 USA
Employment Type: Salaried | Full-Time
Function: Research & Development
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Main Duties & Responsibilities
About the Position
This position, Technical Business Development Director, is a key leadership position within Rieke Corporation. Positioned within our Industrial Americas organisation and working hand-in-hand with our Industrial commercial team and our customers, this leader will be responsible for the development and launch of new products for our Industrial customers – including designs which are new-to-the-world, application engineering solutions and product-line extensions.
About Rieke Corporation
Rieke is committed to being an innovative, world class manufacturer of closures and dispensing systems for the global market. Serving a wide range of markets – from health, beauty and home care, to food & beverage, to pharmaceutical and to a wide range of industrial markets including paints, solvents, oils and lubricants – Rieke supplies both boutique manufacturers and the world’s top brands with innovative dispensers, closures and custom packaging solutions. Our footprint consists of seventeen locations globally that encompass our Innovation Centers, manufacturing plants, distribution centers and sales offices. Key locations include the UK (Leicester), Germany (Neunkirchen), U.S. (California, Indiana, Ohio, and Arkansas), Mexico (Mexico City), China (Haining and Hangzhou), India (Greater Noida, and Baddi) and Vietnam (Binh Duong Province).
Our technical team is located in Leicester, UK; Noida, India; Haining, China; Rohnert Park, California; and Auburn, Indiana. We also have in-business development engineers in Neunkirchen, Germany and Irwindale, California.
This position reports to the Vice President, Industrial Americas and will be based in our Auburn, Indiana facility.
· Lead product development within the Industrial Americas business to deliver innovation and evolutionary product designs that meet customer needs and financial targets for the business
· Launch new products/projects on time, cost and quality
· Work closely with the Industrial business development and commercial team to develop and maintain technology and product roadmaps by major market and major customer, which are focused on driving growth
· As a partner with our in-house and outside patent counsel, ensure key technologies are protected through patent submission and effective management of trade secrets
· Drive best-in-class New Product Development
· From a new product development perspective, establish a process and quality culture from concept-to-customer that meets the needs of customers and enhances our brand reputation
· Coach, mentor, recruit, retain and develop terrific talent
· Be a role model for change across the business
· Promote the Rieke brand externally to strategically drive brand awareness
Key Responsibilities & Activities
· Ensure Rieke’s Industrial technical team serves as the Design Authority and Project Manager for all new product programs, including ownership of the Stage Gate review process
· Regularly communicate the status of all new Industrial product launches across the business
· For projects that are behind schedule, define and implement recovery plans
· Ensure practices are in place for New Product Introduction to deliver Flawless Launches into the business, to include:
o Design development and design verification
o Tool try-outs.
o Effective handover to global operations to ensure equipment and tooling installation is to plan.
o Technical documentation for Operations that is accurate and available in advance of the launch.
· Ensure effective practices are in place to develop, implement and maintain product engineering documentation as follows: drawings and specifications – both Rieke’s and customer’s test specifications, test requirements and test results, flawless launch checklists.
· Ensure the team has effective procedures in place to own the technical aspects of new product launch, including but not limited to: drawings and specifications, design FMEAs
· Serve as a coach and instructor for flawless launch practices
· Ensure we have effective practices in place for supplier selection, supplier management and project management for single cavity tool builds, including: on time, on quality and on cost tooling support for procurement team during negotiations with tooling and equipment suppliers.
· Optimize requirements for CapEx expenditures.
· Own the Industrial design FMEA process to reduce RPN risk and ensure that key characteristics critical to manufacturing are appropriately designated.
· Ensure designs improve product manufacturability.
· Develop and maintain a technology and product roadmap by major market
· Ensure key technologies are protected through patent submission and effective management of trade secrets.
· Participate in development of cost sheets and CapEx requests for new products.
· When there are issues with product cost in excess of business case targets, prioritize implementation of solutions, working with the operations teams, as appropriate.
· Analyze forward looking resource demand and ensure that projects are scheduled to ensure availability of the right technical resources.
· Hire, train, and mentor design engineers and other technical staff.
· Prepare budgets.
· Manage employee performance in line with the TriMas performance management process.
· Make detailed plans to accomplish goals.
· Other responsibilities and/or projects as requested.
· University degree in an engineering or science discipline.
· Demonstrated success with new product development.
· Technical background in plastic injection molding
· Proven CapEx experience
· Strong experience interfacing directly with customers on key product development programs
· Design development and launch.
· IP protection strategies.
· Own at least 1 Patent
· Managing relationships and product programs with customers
· Product/process costing.
· World class quality systems e.g. ISO.
· Proven people management skills and ability to develop a team.
· Proven man-management and team development skills across multiple countries / locations.
· Experience with developing and implementing successful solutions for complex design and manufacturing problems.
· Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
· IT literate (MS applications and ERP/MRP)
· Ability to communicate at all levels of the business
· Planning and organizational skills & ability to prioritise
· Minimum of 15 years’ experience in design development and project management positions
· Ability to effectively influence and lead others to meet requirements, including on-time project completion.
· Ability to inspire confidence in customers
· Ability to work under pressure
· Regularly ensures team checks their work to ensure accuracy
· Ability to work to tight deadlines
· Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally without restriction
· Must be able to perform job duties in a normal office environment.
· Member of a professional engineering society.
· Commercial experience.
· MBA preferred.
· Product and technology roadmap
· Six Sigma. Lean manufacturing.
Rieke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Auburn, Indiana US
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Business Development Director, Industrial Americas
Requisition Number: 421
EEO Employer Verbiage: