Human Resources Director
Job Number: 10807
Human Resources Director
Primary Location: 7300 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77061 USA
Employment Type: Salaried | Full-Time
Function: Human Resources
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The Human Resources Director manages the day-to-day human resources activities in a manufacturing environment. The HR Director is a key member of the leadership team and is a strong business partner, leading union/labor relations, employee engagement, lean manufacturing processes, supporting continuous improvement initiatives and related aspects. The HR Director will ensure that programs, policies and procedures support the overall business objectives in the areas of union/labor relations, staffing, talent management, training and development, employee relations and engagement, compensation and benefits as well as HR administration. This position reports to the President.
Essential Functions & Key Responsibilities:
- Develops organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to organization strategic thinking and direction; establishing human resources objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Provide leadership in the development of Succession Planning and corresponding staffing matrix
- Partners effectively with the management team to provide and develop the human resources capabilities necessary to achieve plant operations targets.
- Prepares for labor negotiations, contract administration, contract language interpretation, application, and grievance procedures as well as participate in arbitrations, litigations, grievance meetings and hearings. Provide guidance and serve in labor contract negotiations as part of the management negotiations team. Ensure compliance with various State and Federal laws and/or agencies throughout a diverse region; guiding business managers to proactively identify and navigate risks, and create positive employee relations.
- Supports the collective bargaining process; develop contract language and assess impact of scenarios for designated area of responsibility. Participate in contract negotiations for all contracts in designated area.
- Provides HR expertise to management team regarding salary/ hourly recruiting and staffing, employee relations, talent management, policy and CBA interpretation, HR compliance, training, turnover, complaint investigation and problem solving, etc.
- Develops human resources operations financial strategies by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning monetary resources; developing action plans; measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Works with department heads to identify organizational issues that impact the attainment of business objectives.
- Supports management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions; analyzing information and applications.
- Guides management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values.
- Complies with international, federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Develop a working relationship with Union Leadership, Union Committee members and Union Employees. Work with plant managers to resolve grievances.
- Provide guidance and support to plant supervisors and employees on payroll, benefits, attendance and other HR policy administration.
- Supervise and oversee Human Resources Departmental staff and Receptionist
- Provide HR leadership for international sites
- Education: BA/BS Degree in Human Resources, Business or other related studies.
- 10+ years of exempt level Human Resources experience with role progression, which includes labor relations responsibility in a manufacturing plant.
- Bilingual – Spanish/English preferred
- Union experience is required
- Advanced level skills with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word & PowerPoint)
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to pull complex data from assorted sources and synthesis in both graphic and verbal format, such that it is easily understood by the target audience.
- Proven ability to influence and work effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates discretion, able to work with sensitive and confidential materials and possess good business judgment.
- Strong knowledge of employment law (such as the ADA, EEO, ERISA, FLSA, FMLA) and ability to apply legal concepts to real world situations.
- Fast learner, able to readily apply knowledge gained in one situation to others
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail, while also able to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal across a wide audience
- Experience with union/labor relations, salary/hourly recruiting, employee relations and engagement, benefits administration, payroll, policy communication and administration, HR compliance, etc.
- Experience in safety management and handling workers’ compensation.
- Prefer experience in working with international locations (Belgium, Spain, Singapore, Canada and Thailand)
- Some international and domestic travel may be required
- Must possess strong leadership skills in support of reorganizing the HR department and driving the team to meet or exceed expectations as one cohesive team
Location_formattedLocationLong: Houston, Texas US
Community / Marketing Title: Human Resources Director
Requisition Number: 632
EEO Employer Verbiage: